At Dcycle we calculate the carbon footprint not only of companies and products, but also of events in order to understand and offset their environmental impact.
At Dcycle we calculate the carbon footprint not only of companies and products, but also of events in order to understand and offset their environmental impact. The carbon footprint is an indicator of sustainability and makes it easier to understand the processes that have the greatest impact, establishing a starting point in relation to reduction targets. In order to organise a sustainable event, the environmental impact must be minimised, taking into account waste management, electricity consumption and the different purchases required to carry it out. In other words, the emissions generated directly and indirectly by the event.
Among the benefits of analysing the carbon footprint of an event we find the following:
- Positioning the event in the field of sustainability, raising awareness among participants.
- Defining specific impact reduction targets, as well as identifying energy saving opportunities.
- Identifying possible cost reductions through better control of resource consumption.
- Providing a competitive advantage and improving reputation.
In line with ISO 14064-1:2019 for calculating emissions, Dcycle analyses the event’s footprint according to Scopes 1, 2 and 3.
- Scope 1: fossil fuels and greenhouse gases (GHG). To calculate the gases derived from ad hoc electro-generators, the organisation’s vehicles, waste generated and GHGs derived from the event venue.
- Scope 2: electricity consumption during the days of the event, taking into account kWh consumption and the number of rooms used.
- Scope 3: emissions derived from the purchases of the event, considering the stands, assembly, printing, catering, production, uniform garments or advertising.
Once the impact of the event has been calculated, the CO2 emissions generated can be offset by supporting renewable energy generation projects. At Dcycle we work with three projects that allow us to offset this footprint, making the event carbon neutral.
Thank you for reading this far. At Dcycle we want to contribute to measure and offset the environmental impact generated by our actions. You can find out more about us here.